Find Your Writing Niche: Choose a Cause
Email inboxes explode with requests for support——heart association, cancer groups, local charities. I say, choose a cause and write about it. How?
- What cause grips your emotions?
Everyone knows someone who has or has had cancer, heart disease, depression. Want to write a first-hand experience? A success story? A eulogy?
- Check out the Web site for basic information. Here are a few:
- The local affiliate will give information that affects people in your area. If there is a great influx of immigrants from a specific country, e.g., Mexico, China, India, the local agency will know.
- Local agencies are willing to share their success stories, and people who have benefited from services are willing to talk about how they were helped. The publicity gets the word out.
- Submit stories around anniversaries or Month of…. Each month has an abundance of causes:
Breast Cancer Awareness month
National Book month
National Children’s Dental Care month
American Heart month
Black History month
Anyone who has seen or knows of the 1958-63 TV series, “The Naked City,” remembers the closing line: “There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them.”
I say, go out and write one.