Find Your Writing Niche
Volunteer your services
Beginning writers have a built-in way to hone their writing skills: volunteer their services in any number of ways:
- Write press releases for nonprofits.
- Post book reviews on Goodreads and amazon.com.
- Write blurbs for Facebook pages.
- Write short paragraphs for scrapbook entries.
Clubs, organizations, community groups, nonprofits, Boy Scout, Girl Scout, Cub Scout groups and school extracurricular organizations are always looking for someone to publicity their events, fundraisers, awards and contest winners.
It takes a bit of time and attention to detail, and a concentration on key points. Here’s an example based on a display at a museum in my local area.
- Name of the event: Toy Time
- Who is sponsoring it: North Myrtle Beach Area Historical Museum
- Where will it be: North Myrtle Beach Area Historical Society, 799 2nd Avenue North, NMB
- When will it be held: On display until Nov. 1, Museum hours are Wed.-Sun., noon-4 p.m.
- Cost: Museum admission: adults, $5, seniors 60+, students and military with I.D., $4, 5-12 years, $3, 4 and under, free
- Contact: 843-427-7668, director@NMBmuseum.com, NMBmuseum.com
- Details: The exhibit is interactive and includes utilizing tumbling, sliding, rocking, spinning, dancing and flying life-sized folk toys. Some designs are over 300 years old and demonstrate physics, gravity, inertia, mechanics and more. It emphasizes the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) concept taught in schools today.
- Comment from the person in charge: “It is appropriate for the entire family,” said Jenean Todd, executive director of the museum. “Children love the interaction. It will be here until Nov. 1.”
Take a picture to submit with the press release or item to be published or ask the sponsoring group for one. They’ll be happy to comply.