Find Your Writing Niche:Summer and Writing
The warm weather helps us relax, and it’s easier to let writing slide during these months. Instead of putting off that novel or feature story until fall, use the summer to motivate yourself to get that story published.
1) Take a 30 to 60 minute walk and outline the story in your mind as you walk.
2) Contact a writer friend and meet where the two of you can sit on the beach, in the sun or in an air-conditioned spot where you can hash out the contents of the story.
3) Take your laptop or notepad to a quiet place under some shade trees and write the beginning of your story.
4) Have a get-together with writer friends and have each person state in one sentence what their story is about. The others ask one question without embellishing. The person can decide to answer or pass.
5) Just before going to sleep, read what you have written thus far, e.g., outline, one sentence explanation of the story and other paragraphs, then sleep on it. You’ll have a new perspective in the morning.