Women and Adversity:
21st Century Women
Sanna Marin, Prime Minister of Finland
Aside from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine prompting Finland, a country of 5.5 million, to apply for membership in NATO, which has gained headlines around the world, Sanna Marin also has gained headlines. As Prime Minister of Finland, she is an example of the emerging “21st century woman”: under 50, intelligent, attractive, social media savvy, politically astute and determined to lead her country to increased prosperity. All of these factors package a confident, modern woman, which includes negatives. I’ll start with what many consider her indiscretions.
- October 2020: On the cover of Trendi magazine wearing a blazer with nothing underneath it.
- January 2020-May 2021: Breakfastgate. Reportedly used more than 14,000 euros of taxpayer money for food at her official residence. She reportedly paid back the entire amount.
- December 2021: Seen “clubbing” past 4 a.m. after coming in contact with an official who tested positive for COVID.
- The title of Prime Minister of Finland puts Marin in third place for succession
What should we know about Marin’s career?
- Won a city council seat in Tampere, a city north of Helsinki, in 2012 when she was 27.
- Was a Member of Parliament in 2015 when she was 30.
- Became the world’s youngest Prime Minister in 2019 when she was 34.
- She’s a Social Democrat, the center-to-left party.
- Advocated joining NATO in her 2022 New Year’s address.Her bio:
- Born November 16, 1985 in Helsinki
- Her parents divorced when she young
- She was raised by her mother and her mother’s same-sex partner
- The first in her family to earn a degree: bachelor’s and master’s degrees in administrative science from University of Tampere.
- Had daughter Emma Amalia Marin January 28, 2018.
- Married her daughter’s father, Markus Räikkönen, August 1, 2020
Read more about Marin:
What’s it like to be Sanna Marin, the young female Prime Minister of Finland? – YouTube
Finland’s Prime Minister Sanna Marin says the American Dream is best achieved in Nordic countries (savannahnow.com)
Opinion: This is what a nation run by women looks like – CNN
READERS: WHAT IS YOUR IMPRESSION OF SANNA MARIN? ESPECIALLY LIKE BECAUSE_______? DISLIKE BECAUSE_______? LET ME KNOW.